Thursday, March 21, 2019

MIX321 Tulips or are they?

This week's mix-ability challenge on SCS is all about the flowers. Tulips, daffodils and pansies. I choose to do tulips.  Before I even started I knew I wanted to use the colors teal and brown. I had this mono print laying on my desk. I used STAMPlorations art stencil called EMANATIONS.
preview-web-stencil-emanations


It had a bit more white than I liked so it had been sitting on my desk ,in my use someday pile, for several weeks.

It is subtle in the next photo but I distressed it with a brown distress ink. Then the part I really liked about this project. It was a stamp that I had been given years ago that I never had used. It was an old Cornish Heritage stamp that was for stamping writing paper. I stamped it in blue and because the ink was still juicy on the stamp, I turned it and stamped again. It made kind of a checkered trellis look. I then took some silhouetted wild flowers and stamped them. I have had the wildflowers for so long. They are one of the first stamps sets that I ever bought. My goal with my creating this week was to use old stamps to remind me that I don't always have to have the "NEW" stamps to be happy. 

What I did next was really hard, because I really liked how my page was looking. I CUT IT. I cut it into 4 sections. One thing I had been noticing was that with my mixed media cards, I had been neglecting an element of design, the card sketch or layout. I think it was because I was afraid to cut up my art. So before I could second guess myself, I just went ahead and cut it.  Don't you like my Tulips? They were stamped and fussy cut and popped up on foam... oh wait, they look like tulips but they were really lotus blossoms. My friend Kyra had sent me a layered stamp set of lotus blossoms. I just cut away what I didn't want and voila... tulips. To add to my old stamps used, an old Our Daily Bread scripture stamp and I also  used an old Martha Stewart butterfly stamp. I really struggled. At first I stamped and colored it pinks and oranges, but it was "fighting" the tulips for attention. Then I did one in blue... nope not good. Then I did one in yellow... no not good either. I was about to give up then I decided to do a white butterfly with black glitter dots on the wings. I don't think I have ever done a white butterfly. I have always had to color them. So again before I could change my mind I glued him down. I really like how my card turned out. I hope you do too and 





4 comments:

  1. Oh my word! I had no idea that in the beginning of your post that this card would end up so beautiful! It is amazing and I love the layout. And the Bible verse is so very fitting. I am so glad I saw this. I never do much mixed media as I really am not good at it so I avoid it like the plague. But you certainly have the touch. This is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful...everything about it, from your paper to the sentiment, is so well chosen and designed to come together so well. tfs

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one stunning project MariLynn! Love the background you created.

    ReplyDelete