Tuesday, April 28, 2020

God's presence - hymnal- bible art journal.





These two songs were my playlist as I made this page in my art journal.

I took my hymnal and photocopied  "My Savior's Love"


I then made a reduced size (75%) copy that would fit in my journal. I did it on white cardstock.

I am going to do step by step to show you how I drew and painted the pansies on my page.
I started by drawing a circle.


Then I drew a petal to the left of the circle. Don't worry about making it perfect because the imperfections is what makes it look more real. I think it looks more like a coloring book if it is perfect. 


Next I drew a petal to the right of the circle. I think it looks like a bow tie here.


The next petal is the bottom petal. I think it looks like a 3 turned on the side.


The next petal I overlapped with the left petal.  It kinda reminded me of the venn diagrams I had to do in math class.
Image result for venn diagram

Then I drew the last petal. overlapping the two adjacent petals.


Then I drew 2 lines for the stem.


To the right of the pansy I am putting a bud. I started by drawing an oval.


I then made the top part of the sepal. It looks like a squished v on its side.


The rest of the sepal look like a M on its side.


For the bud I drew a "C" shape backwards and on its side.


Finished the bud with another smaller curved line.


I drew two little lines to the left of the bud.


Then drew two lines connecting to the two smaller lines to make the stem


I drew on leaf a squished "V" upside down and slanted.


The next leaf started as a single line.


Then I drew a kinda squished rectangle.


Time to paint. To paint my pansies I knew I wanted 3 colors of purple.  A Blue/Purple, a Purple, and a Red/Purple. I painted the 3 colors on a scratch paper to see how they looked together.


I painted the bottom petal with the Blue purple. I didn't worry about shape, I just colored in the pencil lines like a coloring book.


I painted this petal with Red/Purple.


Bud with Purple.


This petal with Purple


This part of bud with Blue/Purple


Purple


Red/Purple


Olive green





Then I just added some green olive paint brush strokes to make some grass.



I highlighted the words about God's presence with the Purple
and made the ground with the Olive.

I added yellow to the center of the pansy.


I knew I wanted to splatter the page but didn't want it to get on my pansies so I cut up some scrath paper into circles to mask them.


And happily splattered away with all the colors except yellow that I used on the painting.


When I knew for sure that everything was completely dry I carefully erased the pencil marks.


I went to put it in my bible art journal, but it looked too plain.


So I masked the page to the left and slipped a piece of typing paper in between this page and the next, I splattered the journal. 


I decided I wanted a little more definition to my flowers so I took some markers. I scribbled them on scratch paper to find ones close in color to my painting. I then just scribble outlined the petals, stems and leaves. 



I then went to put it in my journal but it still was missing something. 


I decided to take a straight edge and a really deep purple marker to make a frame. I also added the words at the bottom of the journal Abide with me. To combine the two songs I listened to. 

I know this was a super long post, but I hope it encourages you to create. Thank you God for your presence that is always with me. 


5 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous project, MariLynn! I have a hymn book that I'm planning to work on soon! Thanks for the wonderful inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that will be fun. I would like to see what you create.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful page design and I love seeing how it evolved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh MariLynn what a wonderful result - loved how you created this - and that you shared your steps with us.
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete