Friday, August 16, 2019

You are my sunshine mixed media cards

I made a trio of mixed media cards today.
This first one was made for the SCS Mixability challenge which was to take hand sanitizer and add reinkers and put your paper on it. MIX342. This was the piece I made with the sanitizer and reinker.

 On top of that piece I added a design of golds and yellows covered with dry wall tape and I went around the edges with hot glue gun. I took a black sharpie marker and colored the hot glue black and then added gold paint to the hot glue.



To finish it off, I added little torn pieces of mono printed cardstock to the "blue areas" and for the sun rays I added some water coloring and I added little black dots on the rays with a black ink pen. I doodled on the scraps. The "plantes" and the center of the sun I cut small circles of a piece of mono printed cardstock. I flooded them with Aleene's tacky glue to give them a shiny finish.




 Before this evening, my friend Kyra had actually planned on a different challenge. The challenge was to take baby oil and make your cardstock translucent and to use reinkers. I struggled with this challenge because I didn't have baby oil. I used cooking oil instead. Then I really didn't like how it looked.  My friend Kyra ended up changing her challenge because she also didn't like how the baby oil turned out. My number 1 rule of mixed media is "If you don't like it, work on it until you do like it." So I took that to heart.  I started with this mono print that I made using two different colors of reinkers, yellow and orange.



 I traced the sun and its rays and the two planets. You can see how it looks with the oil on it. It didn't look that good.

Here was a mono print that I made with blues and teal reinkers

I cut around the rays and sun and added  hot glue that I colored black and painted gold. 




 I enjoyed making those two so I decided to make a third one. I took a mono print that I made earlier in the week. It resembles the prints I made that I turned into the light house at sunset cards.

I added some drywall tape and the hot glue. I water colored to add more color to the sky.


The words love and the little hearts is from a STAMPlorations set called Frames and Flowers.

If you would like to add that set to your collection of stamps, use this discount code to get 20% off your purchase. 


3 comments:

  1. Fantastic cards....so well constructed and designed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fascinating use of the your resources MariLynn - love the hot glue and how you have painted it - stunning work
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete