Sunday, June 10, 2012

True love


The hostess this week for Stampin' Sisters in Christ is my Stampin' sister Helen. She chose this verse to think about this week: 1 John 3:18 "Dear children, let's not merely say that we love each other, let us show the truth by our actions" NLT This last week my daughters and I watched a "Chick-Flick". We laughed at the predictability of the two main characters "falling" in love. I remember that "falling in love" feeling. It was nice while it lasted, but the problem with feelings is that they come and they go. The year my husband and I got married, my parents celebrated their 25th anniversary, my in-laws celebrated their 35th anniversary and my grandparents celebrated their 50th. We included in our reception a celebration of their examples of love. My husband got up and thanked them all for their examples of what love looks like. His parents had to deal with his mother being diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis(MS). So many couples split up when there is a diagnosis of a serious disease, but his parents showed true love by working through the health issues. There was a time when my mother in law was completely bed ridden and my Father in law had to do more than his share of the work. For my in-laws love wasn't a feeling, it was a decision and their actions showed in how my Father in law took care of my mother in law. This year my in-laws celebrated their 56th anniversary. Last week my daughter was a bridesmaid in a wedding. I wish I could share with her friends the secret of a long marriage. This scripture sums up that secret. The need to "Not merely say that (they) love each other..." but let their actions speak for themselves.

 This is Helen's Challenge : 1) image showing action OR 2) an image only on the front of your card (no sentiment on the front) OR 3) action card (make it move)

I went with the second part of her challenge to make a card with no sentiment on the front.


This week's sponsor is The Paper Shelter. I used one of their images in my card. This little wedding couple is so cute. I added extra dimension by layering the groom's head and adding dimension on the bride. The back part of her veil is the bottom layer. I made a joy fold card with white on white embossing. I added want2scrap bling on the corners and added pearls to the little bride's neck.

Check out what my Stampin’ Sisters in Christ have created to share with you.
Candace
Diane
Helen
Jerusha
Kris
Linda
Michelle
Miesje
Peggysue
Sandie

10 comments:

  1. MariLynn this is beautiful - love the dimension you have added to this. It is a sweet image.
    Don Francisco has a song with a line 'Love is not a feeling it is an act of the will' - this is so true!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so sad that families split when someone is ill... bad enough coping with a serious illness as well. It is lovely to read about your family and 'real' love Marilynn... Have a great week :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your examples for the scripture today. What a neat thing to do at your wedding...and a very touching story about your in-laws. We've seen that kind of love by couples in our church...and it blesses everyone they know. Love your precious card...perfect for the challenge. Love the way your card opens too. A delightful creation and post, MariLynn...you always bless me. Have a love-filled week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow - I love what you did with this image! So very pretty and creative. Congrats to your grandparents. I know what you mean about the secret of marriage. Two of my children are struggling in their marriages right now - one has split from her husband. It breaks my heart, especially seeing the pain in her children's eyes. Something else to pray for! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my Goodness! MariLynn, this is absolutely fantastic! The examples you shared about marriage are exctly the thoughts that went through my head when I read the scripture. We were at a wedding reception last night, and have another next Saturday. I pray these young couples can learn early how to live love.
    Your card is lovely. You've done a fantastic job with the coloring and I like the way you added the dimension.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marilynn -
    What a lovely card but also lovely story about your in-laws. What a testimony to Gods goodness. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful story with us. This is such a great card, a sweet image.
    Blessings,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi MariLynn! I so enjoyed your story AND your card! Both are beautiful! Congrats to your granparents! Godly older couples with long marriages are such an important example for young people today! Thanks for sharing that! And your card turned aout just lovely! Love the white-on-white with embossing and the adorable image!
    Blessings!
    Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful card! I love how you used white and just highlighted their clothes and colored their hair, faces & flowers. Very clever idea and it turned out beautiful! What a great reminder of love in your words of this post. You have such great examples of that in your life. That's so awesome! Have a great day! ~H

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda (swtanxiety94@yahoo.com)June 14, 2012 at 12:25 AM

    Your work and photography is beautiful. God has akways said to use what you have, and he would supply the rest. In your work he has supplied an alternate his nature( sunm sky, wind, etc) and you were given the gift to give to others. Thank You

    ReplyDelete