Thursday, June 18, 2015

Sprayed-rocks-background

I have a card to share with you for this week's Mix-ABILITY challenge. The challenge that Kyra gave us was to use pebbles and sprays to make a unique background. My card started as white cardstock. I knew I wanted some color, plus I knew I needed more than just the sprays to make it a mixed media card. So I started with a piece of white cardstock and I ink spray smashed it with markers.  




Now I think river rock would have been good to use for this technique, but all I had was gravel from my driveway. I washed the gravel and dried it and then placed it on the colorful background. I  sprayed over the gravel with gold shimmer spray. 



If you look closely at this photo you can see the areas that don't have gold spray where the rocks were.


 I liked how it turned out, but I wasn't sure if you could see the technique well enough so I took a plan piece of white cardstock, placed the gravel on the cardstock and used the gold spray again.


 Well, after I used just the gold spray this is what I got.

I really didn't like how just the gold and white looked. So I decided to do the reverse of the first. The first was ink spray smash then sprayed. This is what I got when I sprayed then ink spray smashed.


 I absolutely loved how this looks. 



The technique featured this week on SCS was using rolled flower dies to make roses. I made some roses earlier this week and I knew I wanted to use it on my card. As pretty as the second sheet is, the roses didn't look as pretty with it, so I used the lighter first sheet for my card.


I stamped the sentiment with black stazon ink.






 I used this week's SCS sketch. for my card. I added the roses and the baby's breath. I also added random little dots of gold acrylic paint. I outlined the small circle and the edge of the panel with a gold sharpie marker.


The other result of this technique? I have some really pretty gold rocks.

2 comments:

  1. Oh MariLynn this is gorgeous - love both your backgrounds, and the way you have finished the card with the bright red and white is fabulous.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely - glad I came over to check it out!

    ReplyDelete