Friday, November 7, 2014

NOT WHAT YOU THOUGHT... mixed media DANCE card

This week's Splitcoast Mixed Media challenge, MIX93 
was to be inspired by the videos or blog of France Papillon.
I was inspired by this video called TOP SECRET.
I was inspired by the turquoise brown color combo and I was inspired by how she applied the texture with a plastic bag. 


I used a plastic bag to add the gold to the base of the card. You can see some of the gold in this close up of the left hand top corner of the card.  I made scrabble tiles using tan cardstock and two layers of cereal box cardboard. I stamped the alphabet stamps and cut them into squares. I used a pen to add the numbers. I inked around the edges to give them some depth.



I used this little dancer from Daydream Designs MY HEART STILL DANCES digital set. I printed her 4 times. I used markers and water to Watercolor her. I tried to get an ombre look for her dress. What you can't see from the photos is that the legs and skirt are 2 layers and from the waist up is 3 layers .It is a subtle paper tole look. I added a little drop of gold paint to the heart bracelet on her arm.

Of course no card of mine feels complete without quilled roses. So I put some in the corners.

The music notes and rest of the sentiment were printed onto white cardstock. I used green, blue and brown markers and water and an acetate report folder to make the variant colors. I sprayed it with gold shimmer paint and also stamped SU itty bitty background stamp in white ink on the background. I used brown ink to in the edges of the sentiments and the music sheet panel. I stapled the rectangles of burlap to the base and glued the sentiment on top of them.


Now you would think that this was a card to inspire people to dance, because dancing is important. Now, I'm not saying that it isn't important, but for today, what was important to me was laughter and character.. I printed the words. "We could all use a laugh"  Kind of a snarky comment, but it did make me smile. The part about character is not letting what others do affect us. You know what if people see me dancing, they are going to laugh till their sides hurt. I could choose to be upset and stop dancing or only dance where no one could see me or I could choose to laugh along. and keep on dancing. THE CHOICE on how I feel is mine.
So that is what went into this card. I hope you enjoyed reading all the way down to the very end. I hope you choose to have a wonderful rest of your day.

5 comments:

  1. Oh how I LOVE this! I love the technique and the lovely dancer, but most of all, I love the heart that you poured into it. AWESOME! (and we all have to laugh even if it's just at ourselves.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen sister - love that last bit. Your card is gorgeous as usual - your color treatment is so pretty - I love how the background is soft and the focal point is crisp too - it's sort of like a photograph that way. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful card MariLynn - yet again another masterpiece of ingenuity and beauty. Loved your final comments about dancing.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous!!! What a sweet card! I love your burlap underneath the words. Your little bracelet is precious. Your inside sentiment caught me by surprise and I got a good laugh!!! FAbulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lydia said it very well and this especially made me smile. Love it and I love to dance and I don't care who's watching.

    ReplyDelete