Thursday, September 11, 2014

Faux Granite

The Ways to Use it challenge on Splitcoast Stampers WT496
was to use rock or granite on our cards since memorials are often made of stone to make them last a long time.

 I started my card by going to youtube to see how to paint faux granite. That didn't help much because the lady who posted the video just said take paint and do it til it looks like granite. Well, duh. I could have figured that out all on my own. So I looked at photos of granite. Wow so many different colors of granite. I fell in love with this granite:
Granite Photo Inspiration

I started with white cardstock. I added tan ink. I added the following acrylic paints: dark brown, black, white and gold. I applied the paint with a crumpled paper towel.  I sprayed the finished piece with gold shimmer spray. I think I did a pretty good job of matching my inspiration.







The theme I went for on my card was TEXTURE. I used two different embossing folders. I rubbed copper inka gold over the top. The base of the card and the sentiment panel were sprayed with gold shimmer paint. For the base, I took a crumpled paper towel and made texture marks in the spray. 

I also used black textured cardstock that I rubbed the copper inka gold over the top after I punched it using a border punch. I really liked how it looked. I finished it off with some paper gears.





I used Monday Mojo Sketch  MOJO362
I am going to share this card in Word Art Wednesday.WAW149




5 comments:

  1. Wonderful card MariLynn - your representation of granite is amazingly accurate, and I love all the texture you have incorporated. Those Inka Gold rubs are fabulous aren't they!!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful, MariLynn. I always enjoy your creative and amazing projects being shared with us. Thanks SO MUCH for sharing. It means a lot to me. I also wanted to let you know that this card would be awesome for the CIRCLES challenge this month at V's Sweet Ideas (if you're interested). You can find that here at www.vssweetidas.blogspot.com
    Blessings to you,
    Karen
    Word Art Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW...this really, really looks like granite. Great inspiration for texture and dimension for a card. Every card you produce is a work of art! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marilynn,
    I have been looking at this card off and on since 0600 hours. It is so full of wonderful textures, colors, shapes and I really like it. The two different embossed pieces are perfect for a faux granite card. You are such an awesome artist. Praying you have a fun day filled with love and happiness. Thank you for joining our 149th challenge at Word Art Wednesday.

    Carole Robb Bisson
    It's very cold with pouring rain here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is truly wonderful...The embossing and inking is awesomely done. So glad you joined us at Word Art Wednesday and hope you'll come back again. Leaving you with God's Word in Psalm 147:11 which tells us, "The LORD delights in those who fear him, who put their hope in his unfailing love." Have a blessed week.

    Always,
    JO ANN
    http://jatterburycreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete