Sunday, March 11, 2012

Lights in the darkness

Ephesians 5: 8-9 “You were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light, for light produces every kind of goodness and righteousness and truth.”

Wonderful scripture that was chosen for this week don't you think?

My family loves exploring caves. We have been to Carlsbad Caverns. We are really blessed to live close to Hannibal, MO, and the cave that was the inspiration for Mark Twain's book Tom Sawyer. A couple of years ago my kids and I went down in that cave. There are electric lights, lighting the way. About half way down the cave, the guides turn out the lights, the darkness is so dark that you can't make out your hand in front of your face. I'll admit that it would be a little scary to stay in total darkness. Perhaps a little dangerous as well, because you couldn't see where you were going or what you might run into.

Lucky for me, even on the darkest of nights where I live there are little bits of light. From the stars,the moon, the street lights, night lights... even the glow of my cell phone. It doesn't take very much light to change the total darkness. A couple of summers ago the electricity went out because of a storm. We took several candles and lit them so we could have light. The first candle even by itself, gave light so we could see. After we had lit several more candles, their combined light made it even easier to see.

I think it is amazing that God has chosen us to be His lights in the world. Just like the candles, when we work together that light is stronger and brighter and makes it easier for the world to see Him.

The challenge this week is to
Create a card or project that uses both dark and light. Opposite colors; black/white, brown/ivory, deep blue/baby blue, red/pink etc.



Pizazz Aplenty is this week's sponsor.

Check out what my Stampin' Sisters in Christ have created for your inspiration:

Kristine
Linda
Miesje
Peggysue




6 comments:

  1. Cute card Marilynn. I used to work near Mt. Rushmore and a bunch of us workers would go do the tourist attractions after hours and one of those was some caverns. Besides being claustrophobic, I pushed through it... well for half the tour before I turned around and headed out of there to sit in the lobby and wait for the rest of them. But I do remember the part where they turned out the lights but someone had a flashlight and as you could hear the sigh of relief from many as he turned it on! I can't imagine hell--being totally separated from God in the darkness all the time. I for one want to walk in lightness... and share His light with others. Hope you have a wonderful week ahead!! *Ü*

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just stunning! I love your background and fantastic tags!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I really like this. A few years ago a hurricane took our electricity away for several days - the dark at night was absolute! Sure am glad for light; especially His light! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your thoughts, MariLynn - I know what you mean by absolute darkness as we used to live near the Waitomo caves and the guides would turn out the lights too!
    Wonderful card - I love how you have used the black and white to make such a striking card, and yet the contrast is not harsh.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use paper and a song about a new day I'm delighted. The song recalled the my longing for watching of sunrise and sunset from the deck of the yacht, on which always I spend vacation. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a beautiful card!!!

    ReplyDelete