Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Steampunk Butterfly layers upon layers

 The splitcoaststampers sketch challenge this week SC584. Was a great sketch to play around with. My friend Pam and I decided to do steampunk theme, with inka gold and something else metal and we had to rotate the sketch. This is my card.
 My steampunk butterfly was made by stamping an old LAYERS OF COLOR butterfly. It was such a pretty set, with the most beautiful butterflies that I just had to get it. I've had it since 2009 but have made less than 20 projects with this set. Considering how many projects I have made since I got it, I must just have too many stamps. If that is even possible.
 I used black stazon ink to stamp the butterfly onto brown cardstock. I stamped it 10 times and fussy cut them all out. I turned the first one over and drew the shape of the pocket I wanted to create for each wing. Then I cut it out. I then traced those same shapes on the backs of the other butterflies and cut them out too. I then glued all the layers together. When the glue was dry, I filled the pockets on the left side with quilled roses. The pockets on the right side, I put little metallic gears attached with brads.


 My friend Terri had sent me this fabulous gold chicken wire ribbon. I liked it but when I placed it on my card it was "too gold". When I looked at it, it was the ribbon that I noticed first instead of my butterfly so I wanted to "fix"it. I laid it on a piece of scrap paper and rubbed my black stazon ink over the top. It distressed it enough that you could still see the gold but it was more subtle.


I knew I wanted to make a butterfly trail and what I made I think is unique and different. I took a piece of foil and put drops of hot glue on it. When the glue had cooled I painted over it with black fingernail polish that I bought for crafting purposes. When the fingernail polish had dried, I used ink gold metallic rub to go over the dots. I then peeled them off of the foil and used Tacky glue to adhere them to the card. I used the same inka gold rub to go around the edges of the panels.  The inside of my easel card has the sketch not flipped.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing, MariLynn. love how you have made the butterfly, and the contrast between the roses and the gears is stunning. Love your background too. I always learn so much when reading your entries as to how you look at your supplies and use them in such a unique way!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete