Wednesday, February 13, 2013

little bird / big bird




 Why do hummingbirds hum? They can't remember the words to the song....

 I am always amazed by God's creation. I am amazed that the little hummingbird can so quickly flap it's wings and hover. What a great design. Then there is the bald eagle that can hold out it's wings and soar on wind currents. What a great design.
 Both so perfect in their design.  This hummingbird card is a sneak peek at a Mark's Finest Papers set that will be released next week called Hum Along. It is for 3 challenges. The first challenge is the color challenge for SCS for yesterday. CC413 When I saw the colors, my first thought was yuck. My second thought wasn't much better than my first one. Then I saw my friend Pam's card and she used this set. She challenged me to use the set and make a card too. So last evening I sat down and made the hummingbird and hibiscus part of my card. I stamped the hummingbird with brown stazon ink. I watercolored it with greens, blues, purples, pinks, oranges, and browns. I tried my best to imitate the amazing coloring of the real thing. That is where the second challenge comes in- The Tutorial Time Challenge on SpeedyTV TTSTV35 to combine embossing powder and dazzling diamonds or glitter. I used UTEE and glamour dust on my humming bird. It really made it iridescent.(hard to photograph and show you, but I tried with the second photo.) The third challenge is the SCS sketch challenge SC423. It took a long time to finish my hummingbird and hibiscus, and I had no idea what layout I wanted so I decided to wait until today to see the sketch. I decided to go with embossed white on white to bring focus to the hummingbird and flower. Yesterday I saw a card on facebook that someone had liked that showed white on white embossing with little pearls. It was my inspiration for the pearls on my card.I tried to find it again and couldn't. So I'm sorry I can't give credit to that card maker. The third photo is of a bald eagle that I took yesterday with my cell phone. Not the greatest camera, but what an amazing creature. I just love to watch bald eagles. One of the biggest blessing of winter, living where I live. The bald eagles come to the Mississippi river to fish. This bald eagle had a fish in his talons that was about 6 or 7 inches long. My son and I saw him catch it and fly up to the tree to eat it.



9 comments:

  1. Great job on the faux frosting technique! Thanks for joining us at TTSTV!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely card MariLynn! How I have missed visiting your blog! So much going on at work. Thankful for it though and thankful for you as a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful card MariLynn - love the strong contrast of the white and the images, and the lovely texture on the background.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just don't get tired of looking at this beauty. The way in which you colored the flower makes it look totally real! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your card turned out just beautiful!!!
    Thanks for joining us this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifuil. Love the hummingbird and frosting.....Lis

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous!!! The embossed and stitched white on white is the perfect backdrop for the hummingbird and hibiscus!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you combined those textures and added the pearls. And of course the bird and bloom are absolutely wonderful. What an exciting bird sighting. I'd love to one day see an eagle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning - wonderful creations. Love your blog header too - need to remember that!

    ReplyDelete