Sunday, March 13, 2011

Butterfly- Treasures Card

The butterfly that I used on this project is from the Mark's Finest Papers Set called, Daffodil and Anise. The butterfly paper was from The Mariposa Stack.













The scripture for this week’s Stampin’ Sisters in Christ challenge is from:
Matthew 6:19-21 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there you heart will be also.”

As I was meditating on this verse this past week, I noticed that TREASURE can be both a noun and a verb. When it is a noun, it means prized possession, usually precious metals, gems, wealth and riches. When it is a verb it means to cherish, to hold dear.

When it comes to the noun treasure, I am blessed. I have clothes, a car, and a home. None of them are outstanding though. My clothes all come from thrift stores, I drive an older car, and I have a moderate home filled with 1970’s furniture. A thief if he broke into my home wouldn’t find anything worth his while to steal. I have no gold, no jewelry. I have a 3 year old cell phone, and 6 year old computer. So does that mean I have no treasures?

No, I treasure (verb usage) a lot of things. The things that I hold dear, most people, other than fellow stampers, would laugh at. I treasure, ink pads, stamps, markers, colored pencils, paper, pieces of ribbon, pieces of lace, little pieces of plastic that look like pearls and jewels… There was a synonym to treasure (verb) that hit a little too close to home. It was HOARD. My kids were giving me a hard time last week saying that I hoard things. As hard as it was to admit it, they were right. I have a pile of cereal boxes that I have saved because I might use that cardboard someday. I keep the little plastic containers that my embellishments come in. I did use one this last week on a card, but I still have others in my stash. While I do treasure these things, I know these are just temporary to my real treasures, my salvation, and my relationships with God and those around me. I know that my ink pads will dry up, stamps get lost, markers dry out, colored pencils break, paper warps…but my salvation is FOREVER and my relationship with God is FOREVER, the impact of my relationships with others is everlasting.

The challenge for this week’s card was to use some of our treasures on a card. I have loved this dp from my DCWV Mariposa Stack since I got it at Christmas time. I also used some pinkish cardstock that I had been “Saving” I also added some pearls that were a treasure from my fellow Stampin’ Sister in Christ – Grace. I added some little gems too.

The biggest challenge for me this week is to remember where my true treasure is.
There were 2 hymns that I wanted to share parts of. The first one:

“Be Thou My Vision” By Dallan Forgaill says…
Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise, Thou mine Inheritance, now and always: Thou and Thou only, first in my heart, High King of Heaven, my TREASURE, Thou art.

The second one is:

“Hold to God’s Unchanging Hand” by Jennie Wilson
Covet not this world’s vain riches that so rapidly decay, Seek to gain the heav’nly treasures, they will never pass away… Build your hopes on things eternal, Hold to God’s unchanging hand.

This is scripture that I plan on meditating this week:

Isaiah 33:6 “He will be the sure foundation for your times, a rich store of salvation and wisdom and knowledge; the fear of the Lord is the key to this treasure.”

11 comments:

  1. Hi MariLynn! OMgoodness your card is stunning! I just love the dp and your butterfly is beyond gorgeous!!! I loved your thoughts today and they are spot on! So glad to have you on our SSIC team! I hope you have a wonderful week my treasured friend!
    hugs,
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your card is just stunning, I laughed at your kids giving you a hard time, I have TONS of stamping stuff all over the house and I tend to "hoard" the stuff I really like also. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning MariLynn!
    What a stunning card you created this morning. Love the shape and design, and that paper is gorgeous. Wonderful insight on the verse today.
    Have a fabulously wonderful weekend.
    Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be Thou my Vision is one of my favorites too, that is such a great hymn~! I like where your thoughts took you, from treasure as a verb to hoard . . . another verb and one far less attractive. This is one gorgeous creation MariLynn and I'm glad you pulled out and used some things that you had been 'saving.' :) It is nice to be saved, hey? In a different way . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marilynn! BEAUTIFUL Mariposa card!! Love all the bling on it, this paper is one of my faves as well, and I have to admit it's one I don't want to use (but hoard) as once I use it I won't it anymore. I've got several pads like that. But this challenge this week has been really good to meditate on for sure! I love your songs you shared at the end too. How true, how true! Hope you have a blessed week *Ü*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your comments were enlightening and I enjoyed them as much as I enjoyed your card. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - that is a truly elegant card! I love it. I really enjoyed reading your devotion - had to smile at the word "hoard" because I do the same thing! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. very elegant and pretty...hugs, Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marilynn, your card is such a BEAUTY!!! Love the papers you used, the shape and the gorgeous butterfly!!! I think we are all hoarders to some level, when we love this crafty industry, so don't judge yourself so much! I love how you shed light on the word treasure being a verb and noun and their meaning of it....Beautiful!!! Thank you so much for playing along! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Marilynn, your card is stunning! Absolutely beautiful!
    Hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  11. outstanding.. love that inside paper as well.

    ReplyDelete