Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Taking something I disliked and turning it into something loved

I will admit that I am a hoarder. Why else would I keep designer paper for years that I hated. I have had this paper for about 9 years. I like the colors but the design just doesn't fit my style. So it has been sitting in a drawer of paper waiting. It must have been hard waiting that long to be used, especially when some of friends got picked. Today for the SCS sketch challenge, SC480 I knew I wanted to faux barn board technique to look like a wooden fence as a back drop for my poppies. I wanted a little bit of color and design showing through and I wasn't too particular about it, so I pulled this paper out and added shoe polish, glue and paint.
 Well, I really liked how the end result turned out. In fact you could say I loved it. I loved it so  much that I really didn't want to cover it up. So for the small panel in the sketch I used a piece of vellum with the word "love" printed on it. That way you can still see the faux barn board behind it. I did paper tole on my poppies. I water colored them and cut them out. I made a poppy card yesterday and put a butterfly on it. Today I took the scraps from that butterfly, (the left wings) and made another butterfly for this card.
 Here is a close up so you can see the dimension of the butterfly and the poppies. You can also see the center of the big poppy. I did burned glue for the center. There is texture that makes it look almost real.

 
This is the card I made yesterday with the same set using the colors for the SCS color challenge.

9 comments:

  1. Wow!!! Stunning!!! Your faux barn board is an exquisite backdrop for your beautiful flowers! This is gorgeous! I hope it's on SCS so that I can put it in my faves!!! EXQUISITE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW - stunning MariLynn - love the way you have used the paper and transformed it into something beautiful.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous and what a transformation from the original DP!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those poppies are so real looking-too pretty for a card. Needs to be framed! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card! I do not have access to classes anymore or up on the "new" techniques. Could you please tell my what "burned glue is and how to do it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have not heard of "glue burning" before...can you explain? And what color shoe polish??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy cow, Marilynn, this is stunning! Love all of your techniques that you put together to make an absolutely life-like, beyond gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is truly amazing. Absolutely love this card!

    ReplyDelete