Sunday, November 13, 2011

The scripture that my sister Traci picked for this week is:

1 Thessalonians 5:18 "Give thanks in all circumstances for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."

I don't now if anyone else struggles with this, but I do. This last week, we had sickness in our house. To add to that there is a coach who has had it in for my daughter since the school year started. There was a lot of drama on Friday, becuase my daughter was home sick. I can deal with people doing a lot of things to me personally, but I struggle when my kids are attacked.
After I prayed and shared my anger with God, I sat down to write this post. The Holy Spirit started speaking to me.
I give thanks in good circumstances, and I give thanks in kinda good circumstance, but when I have bad circumstances, I pout and have a pity party. I even get a little angry. The bad thing is when I feel that way, the only one who suffers is me. If I can only learn this lesson to be thankful in ALL circumstances how much better off I will be.
Satan whispers"Why would you give thanks for bad circumstances?" I even asked God that question today. This was His answer to me.
Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.

I don't have to know why I have bad times. I don't have to understand how God will work it for my good (Romans 8:28). I do have to Trust and give Thanks.

Traci's challenge:
Create a card or project that depicts gratitude...it can be an image of something you are grateful for, a scripture that evokes your gratitude, or it can be a card made especially for a person you would like to thank this time of year!!


One of the things that I am thankful for are all the birds that are in my area. Just the other day I saw two bald eagles soaring on an air current. It really made my day. My card has a little red breasted nuthatch on it. I am going to give this card to a friend at church who I am grateful for her support. The nuthatch is a sneak peek at a Mark's Finest Papers set called peaceful nuthatch.

The sponsor for this week is Simon Says Stamp.
Check out Stampin' Sisters in Christ Challenge to see Traci's devotion and to see what my other Stampin' Sisters have created.


8 comments:

  1. I so enjoyed reading your post Marilynn!! I had a very difficult week also and have quite depressed and struggling this week with all that is going on with our house. Thanks for the reminder! It is true that when we find joy and thankfulness in the rough patches as well, it becomes easier because we are leaving the control to God.

    Gorgeous card. Love the bird!! Reminds me of the verse: If He cares for the birds of the air...how much more does He care for you.

    I hope you are feeling better and that your daughters issues with the coach get resolved soon. Praying for you. Have a great week!!
    hugs,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEE_U_TEE_FUL card MariLynn! I love birds too and this card is gorgeous!!! I'm sorry you have all been sick but trusting you're getting better now. Your words are so true and point on today! It's always easy to be thankful for the "good" things but the real test comes in the trying times! I'm glad God is patient and forbearing with us... as we walk this pathway there's much to learn! I'm thankful for YOU my friend! Have a wonderful week!
    hugs,
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, beautiful card! Love the coloring on the bird and the stitching is beautiful! I totally understand about protecting our kids - been there! Have a great and healthier week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just gorgeous! Love the stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card, MariLynn - I love that brilliant blue contrast which takes the eye straight to the image. Your stitching is fabulous!!
    Thank you too for your words of encouragement - I too struggle with the giving thanks in all circumstances.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so thankful for the birds and wildlife that make the outdoors so much more beautiful! That is one nice coloring job on the nuthatch, lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful!! I love your image & the stitching is a great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is truly inspirational. And your card is just stunning, Marilynn! :)

    Hopping by,
    Jenny (Wifey Cookie)
    http://cookieadventures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete