Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Apple blossoms for Spring




I saw this apple blossom tutorial the other day and knew I had to give these adorable flowers a try. I couldn't find crinoline like Linda used. I tried but my fabric store had none. I did buy some tulle. (I got 1/8th of a yard -$0.14 worth) When the lady went to cut the tulle, the edge was uneven so she cut it off and threw it in the trash can by the cutting table. It was a strip about 1 1/2 inches wide. All I could think of was that I could get several flowers out of it. So I asked her since she had thrown it away if I could have it. My kids rolled their eyes and were so embarrassed. They harrassed me all the way home from the store about the trash tulle. I have made 9 flowers and still haven't used up the trash tulle. I decided to use it up first before I started on the other tulle.

How my apple blossoms differ from Linda's is that I don't have crinoline, so I substituted what I had on hand. These flowers each have a layer of lace, typing paper, coffee filter, paper towel, tulle and cardstock.

This is for the sketch challenge at SCS. The dp was some I got on Saturday. It is from a K & Company pack. The bees and sentiments are from a Mark's Finest Papers set called HAPPY PANSIES. I stamped the bees on the card and colored them in with a yellow prisma colored pencil. I also stamped bees on the inside of the card as well as on the envelope. This is one of the first cards in a long time that I haven't sewn on. My daughter took my sewing machine last night to alter costumes for a muscial that she is in. My sacrifice for her art

4 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous, Marilynn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! These flowers look great. The entire card is beautiful!!

    Hugs,
    Dianne
    http://mypaperhugs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one stunning card - love those apple blossoms and will have to go see how to make them.... and no doubt I will be like you and using substitutes :-) Well done, they are gorgeous.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! Marilynn, I love these flowers! They add just the right amount of pizzaz to the card. You are quite an inspiration to 'make do'!
    Please check out this post on my blog for a 'thanks' for all that you share.
    http://nuttysnews.blogspot.com/2011/03/great-surprise.html

    ReplyDelete